Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 3: 58 hrs

Brought the stew in to work with me again, with a few chunks of pumpernickel. The lamb was juicy and tender, the broth incredibly rich, and the sweet potatoes! I've never made soup or stew with sweet potatoes before... This may become one of my favorite new background vegetables. Unlike a baked sweet potato, a boiled one (at least at this stage) doesn't have that mashed potato feel. Just yummy and hearty and bite sized awesomeness.

After work, I hit the grocery store where my friend found the rabbit, and picked one up. I also got another sweet onion, and a bunch of parsnips, which to my knowledge I've never had. After I skinned the parsnips, I shaved off another slice to taste precooking... Kind of like a tart white carrot. It was a bit of a beast to chop up, and I find myself wondering if it was fully ripe. But, per the history of the stew, I guess everything comes of age in the pot. Looking forward to see how it stews. I also fished out the bones from the lamb shoulder. What little meat I hadn't been able to get off the bone with a knife cooked right off overnight and during the day.

I added:
One sweet red bell pepper, chopped
One parsnip, skinned like a carrot, chopped

I didn't feel like wrestling with butchering the rabbit (which is whole, just headless and skinned) and with one thing or another, have pretty much left the stew alone tonight. I love how no muss, no fuss it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment