Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 4: What's up, Doc?

Item the first. I do not like parsnips. I am thankful I only put one in. They are much more tart than carrots, and somehow more earthy.

Item the second. Today was one of those days where I spent almost 12 hours at work, didn't have time to heat my soup, and wound up having two string cheeses (Cheesi? Cheeseses?) for lunch. So it was understandibly not with enthusiasm that I came home to a rabbit corpse in my fridge waiting for me to butcher it.

Item the third. I believe butcher was not meant to be such a literal term, but having no idea how to butcher a carcass, I wound up butchering it indeed. (Maybe there's a YouTube video... But I'm not sure I would want to watch it...) I did not take pictures. We'll leave it at this: darling husband walked in to the kitchen, and threw up a little in his mouth. And he's not faint at heart. Also, unlike me, he never had a pet rabbit.

So, I did my best with the beast, and called it good enough. There were hints online that making rabbit stew somehow required me to cover it in flour, but I figured your average hunter wouldn't necessarily have that on hand, and so just dumped it in the pot.

Adding:
3 garlic cloves, diced
Half sweet potato, cubed
Rabbit chunks
Rabbit carcass (to stew, and be fished out tomorrow)
Splash of sherry



I brought everything to a roiling boil, and then back down to a simmer. The rabbit turned white almost immediately... Hoping it will be very tender. And I did wind up eating my "lunch" soup. For dinner tonight. The lamb is falling apart at the touch of the spoon. It's been over 81 hours since I started this project, and I'm excited to see how long I can take it! I can definitely say, this is the longest I've ever shown interest in the kitchen. I even set up the space to make it more my own!




1 comment:

  1. If you will recall, at TOTS I had to feed that finicky alligator rabbits all the time. I could have helped you out ;) I gotz skillz. PS. what kind of stupid alligator needs it's food "prepped".

    ReplyDelete