Saturday, January 15, 2011

Diving In

A quick trip to the grocery store, and I was ready to begin. I made a classic Hungarian Goulasch the day before, and decided that was as good a place as any to start. I still had a lot of ingredients left over, and loved the stew.

In to the Cauldron (ok, ok, it's just a big pot...):
Melt 2 Tbsp butter in main pot
2 medium sweet onions, diced, browned in butter
3 garlic cloves, diced, browned with onions
Leftover package of bacon, cut in chunks, fried up in frying pan
3# beef chuck roast, cut in to pieces, seared in bacon grease
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 russet potato, skinned & cubed
Leftover amount of vegetable stock
Generous helping of red wine vinegar
Splash of cooking sherry

I boiled it all together for like 20 minutes, then reduced the heat to Lo, and let the simmering begin!

What I really like about this (so far) is the carefree whimsy... Most of the sites talking about Perpetual Stew have a few guidelines:
Don't use fish
Boil after adding something new
Add liquid as needed

I add to this my own suggestions:
Season outside of the pot, as ingredients will change too quickly
Keep track of what goes in, and especially, what doesn't work
Have fun with it - No judging if something goes wrong

But other than that, there's no rules, no right way, no harm no foul... If you hate the soup, add more stuff and give it a day... Worse comes to worse, pitch it and start anew! But I say go for it ... Who know's what you're making?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment